View Single Post
Old
02-12-2013, 10:17 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
This I agree with totally. I would actually feel pretty comfortable with a shut-down line of:

Powe-Halpern-Boyle

But the issue becomes, if this line is getting 10 minutes a game (not a stretch of the imagination), that decreases the ice time of the 3rd line which Callahan is on.

That is the issue with splitting up Gaborik, Richards, Nash and Callahan onto (3) lines while also wanting to have a "shut-down" line.

Interesting debate for sure.

Edit:

Also, something of note, when Boyle gets back in the line-up, if that is indeed the 4th line, the Rangers really only need a couple of other forwards to PK during the game. That means more rest for Nash, Stepan, Hagelin and Callahan when you have PK horses lie Halpern, Boyle and Powe on the bench. It also keeps everyone in the game and allows the coach to more evenly distribute ice time.
I'm not convinced that we necessarily need a "shut-down" line per se.

We need that 4th line to be defensively responsible, absolutely, but I would not look to deploy that 4th line against opposition's top lines.

I think the game has evolved beyond the line matching we used to see in the late 80's and early 90's.

I can see matching certain defensive pairings against opposition top lines, but not line against line.

What I would expect from a 4th line is to provide a breather for the top three lines, be solid defensively and house most of your PK forwards.

At ES, I wouldn't want them to get more than 5-7 minutes. They would be the go to guys for PK duty though.

To much disruption to the flow of a game if these guys are taking more than their normal share of defensive zone faceoffs. I get that Torts wants to play a puck possession game, but if the guys that are winning the face offs are in capable of doing anything but chipping pucks out of the D-zone after winning the face off, or dumping into the o-zone and chasing, my question is "What's the point?"

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote