View Single Post
Old
02-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Bardof425*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The reason I like this Boyle debate is because it comes down to a philosophical breakdown of where this team is headed.

If/when Boyle gets back into the lineup, will Torts prefer to give him the same type of shutdown assignment? If so, it doesnt really matter what line hes on because hes going to get big even strength minutes against the oppositions top line.

Or is this team in a place where that shutdown role can go out the window because Torts feels he has a team that can consistently bring it to the opposition? If Miller wasnt a teenager and had more experience, this would be a lot stronger of an argument.

My personal take? You never know how a specific game is going to play out. Why leave your only legitimate shutdown option in the press box? Im not here to say Boyle is some sort of great defensive player on his way to a Selke, but the truth of the matter is theres noone else on the roster capable of fulfilling his specific role.
We don't have a legitimate shut down option which is the rub here. He's just not that good and never has been. He was simply the best option on the roster. But now we have Jeff Halpern who's career as a defensive forward is much more impressive than Brian Boyle. And based on the way he's been skating there's plenty left in the tank. All of this has led BB to the bench. Personally, I don't think he's been any worse this year than in prior years. But now there are others who can play his role and play it better. And so he sits, maybe indefinitely.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote