Old
02-12-2013, 12:19 PM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
I like the oates vs hull argument.

In the 90s, i always thought of hull as the purest one-dimensional scorer, and as oates as the purest one-dimensional playmaker. That being said, i think hull was slightly better then oates...making me want to choose the playmaker less in this situation.
It was the Hull and Oates pairing from where I think I learned a lesson from an old-timer. When discussing the pair at that time, I opined that maybe it was Hull that was padding Oates' numbers. He was a person of few words and he just suggested that maybe it was the other way around.

It cannot be mistaken that Hull's numbers when through the stratosphere immediately upon Oates' arrival, and returned to mere mortal status immediately after Oates left. Adam then went on to Boston to engineer the remarkable feat of an injury-riddled Cam Neely joining the very exclusive 50-goals in 50-games club.

Another observation, the San Jose Sharks have managed to upgrade their roster by trading quantity for quality where wingers such as Cheechoo, Setoguchi and Bernier were thought to have more value than they do. Players can look so promising when playing with a guy like Thornton but disappoint elsewhere.

projexns is offline   Reply With Quote