View Single Post
Old
02-12-2013, 01:57 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I am usually on board with the BPA thing, but last draft we technically didnt do that with Laughton. He was projected as a late 20 early 2nd round type of player. I like Laughton, but a defender like Maata would have been more needed.

This year, we REALLY need to draft this puckmoving d-man or a goal scoring winger. And this draft has a couple good ones also. Drafting ANOTHER center would be a big mistake imo. Drafting a PMD will give us two prospects in the pipeline that can move the puck. Ghost is more of an unknown but he is has looked extremely good this season. Do wonder that at 20 the team decides he should move on to harder challenges.
Laughton was an interesting case. He really came on in the second half of last season and was stellar at the Ivan Hlinka tournament. His play really lit up the scouts eyes and he was fast climbing. Yes, Maata would have been nice, but having watched a lot of Knights games from last year to this year, there's really been no progression in Maata's overall game. Laughton has been considerably better this year.

I agree that the Flyers need to restock the pipeline with capable defensemen. I don't think Ghost can be looked at as an unknown and that he really has a chance to be something special. In terms of where the Flyers draft, if they're drafting at 20, things can get very interesting because the forwards and the defenders available this year are pretty similar once you get to that stage in the draft. For instance, if it comes down to say forwards like Frederic Gauthier and Kerby Rychel or defensemen like Robert Hagg or Ian McCoshen, I'm hoping the Flyers go with Gauthier or Rychel because they really are the best players available. If the Flyers wanted a McCoshen or a Hagg, I'd hope that they would move down and pick up more assets along the way. That would be my line of thinking.

Maybe I'm old school, but I will always believe that you go best player available, no matter what spot you're in. Even if it means drafting for a position that's a strength and not a need, you always go best player available. If you have a need and you know you can move down to acquire them, then you do so.