View Single Post
Old
02-12-2013, 02:46 PM
newfy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Outsider View Post
If you disagree with my assumptions let me know - trying to be as transparent as possible.
Nothing really wrong with your assumptions but when Yzerman was killing it offensively he wasnt playing with the talent Sakic did it with. Yzerman put the team on his back, Sakic had guys with him his whole career. If the wings would have had the guys they had later in Yzermans career before Yzermans injury problems it would be ridiculous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Also Sakic and Forsberg rarely played on the same line unless they were down late in a game then Hartley would load up the top line.

But looking back at some of the wingers that Sakic played with, its pretty remarkable the impact hes had on them. Tanguay, Hejduk, Brunette, Fleury, Kariya.

Where Yzerman had a prime Shanny on his wing every year (except for the last couple).
Sakic Forsberg on different lines helped take some of the defensive pressure off of sakic and spread the other teams resources thinner. When Yzerman did it Probert was a top 6 player and he had no one to really play with. Teams would literally focus all their attention on Yzerman. Shanny wasnt with Yzerman until well past his offensive prime.

Yzermans offensive and defensive peak were both better than Sakics, I have no problem with someone liking Sakic more because I think theyre extremely close but I think what Yzerman peaked better offensively, defensively and had a comparable career as well.

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote