View Single Post
Old
02-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
If he can handle kill penalities with aplomb down there, then I think he's a lot closer to the NHL than people think. Concerns are with his decision making, good news is that he's a smart kid, and just needs some more on the job experience in AHL.

Athletically the dude's a beast, and I personally don't think there are issues with his skating, Dylan's skated himself into trouble by making a wrong read, but he is by no means a pilon, I don't know why anyone would think that unless they're measuring him up against McDonaugh or an elite skater.

Right now I think Dylan needs to build a track record of simple, hard effective play. There is nothing fancy, or frilly about his game, I didn't see anything out of his game that brought out an ooo or aahhh out of me, it was more like "whoooo", or "oh man I hope that guy's alright".

He does what he does, a zero hesitation player, but all he needs right now is just some more on the job experience to prove that he's reliable, and that's no different than any college kid entering the professional workforce trying to build a reputation. The simpler he plays, the better his game.
Yeah, athletically he is a beast. He covers the distance really well when he moves his feets. He has great balance, unlike say someone like Girardi who is caught on the wrong foot at times and instantly finds himself behind the play. McI handles the puck naturally and is decent offensively. Like, McI is young and big and of course can't move like Stralman, but for someone his size he moves if not exceptionally well at least really well.

But he is pretty raw defensively. I think that is very evident when you compare his play in like rookie camp/Traverse to the NHL preseason. In the former, he tried to be a "top 4 D" and had a tough time. In the later he of course only wanted to survive and not be beaten 1 on 1, and he instantly looked alot better.

I don't like that he is fighting so much in the AHL, I don't want to see him getting any problems. But I think it could be very good for him if he could get to play some time in a modest top 4 role at a high level. You don't want him to sink in to a minimal 3rd pairing role instantly.

Maybe he even should have stayed another year in Juniors...