View Single Post
02-12-2013, 03:45 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
I seem to remember Winnipeg having the lowest ticket prices in the league and poor attendance before they left too.... Jets fans should be thankful they got their team back and get off their high horse. The Coyotes have a group of hardcore fans that will be just as upset as Winnipeg fans were if their team leaves. There's no need to act superior.
Take this as you will, but attendance wasn't that poor for a team with ownership issues and a terrible arena (see Coyotes attendance the last few seasons, minus the terrible arena part) compared to the rest of the league. In fact, it was closer to the league average than it is today.

If you take Winnipeg's attendance (84.5% capacity) from the '94-95 season, divided by the NHL's average attendance for that season, Winnipeg played to 87.9% of that number (below average).

If you take Winnipeg's attendance (sold out arena) from this season, divided by the NHL's average attendance for this season, Winnipeg plays to 84.9% of that number (even more below average...oh my!).

The only "poor" attendance numbers were from the lame duck '95-96 season, after we had already said good-bye to the team...

^ ...the saddest video on YouTube.

There's no way I can defend the ticket prices...I remember cheap tickets being sold at 7-11 and Bi-Way ($10-15 a game?) which is not much different than Phoenix twenty years after the fact.