View Single Post
Old
02-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
Yes, just because a guy is smallish and in the NCAA, doesn't mean he compares to Andy Mac. I mean, why not compare him to a Jason Krog? It's just as valid ... but a lot less encouraging. He put up big numbers as a small guy in the NCAA too, and appeared to have plenty of speed/skill, but of course at the NHL level he was in over his head.

Speed and skill is fine ... but once you have enough of both, it comes down to whether or not you can see the game at NHL game speed, and thus properly utilize those talents. The difference between a skilled little speedster who reads the play well, and an identically skilled guy who just can't quite see/process things in the bigs, is the difference between a long career on a scoring line or a brief career spent mostly putting up numbers in the AHL.
Since we're comparing, Krog went 4-20-24 in 35 games in his freshman year, as a 20 year-old.

edit - I get your point, though. And actually I think Krog is a guy who incubated so long that his dominance in situ dazzled his would-be suitors more than it should have. Like you said, once it became clear he had done all he could do, it was time to move him on to somewhere more suitable (but of course, he wasn't drafted like Roy was).