View Single Post
Old
02-12-2013, 06:17 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Yeah I read a little about Dickinson also but havent seen anything specific from him, he's another late 1st/early 2nd rounder type of guy along with Bailey.

The thing that concerns me about Lodge is yeah he's 6'2" but he's listed at only like 165 lbs. Thats way too thin to able to play a power forward game in the NHL. We already have Huberdeau that we're worrying about needing to put on pounds and he's not as tall and weighs more than that. If we're taking a shot on someone in that range, I'd rather it be someone like John Hayden from the USNDTP who's 6'3" and 220 lbs already.

Also hope we find a way to use a pick on a goalie too this yr. I havent read anything about the goalies though this yr outside of Fucale so I'm behind in that dept. Any decent options for us in the 4th or 5th round (since we lack a 3rd rounder and I dont feel we should use a 2nd on a goalie)?
Dickinson is a big lanky body who's a very complete player. He is very projectable, but not really dynamic in any way. Although he is a pretty good skater who chews up a lot of ice with a long, narrow stride. I don't think he's a top 6 center in the NHL, but I think he could be a top 6 winger, and he plays some LW. If he's allowed to just focus on getting in on the forecheck, creating chaos, and jamming at the front of the net, I think his hands are good enough where he could be an effective top 6 wing.

I don't know much about Hayden, but I think Lodge has a lot of untapped skill, I think he's more skilled than Dickinson. But he's very raw right now and I think just needs more experience to bring it out. At 6'2", and potentially with more to grow, I find it hard to believe he won't end up around 200 lbs. Even Huberdeau I think will end up at 185 or more. It may take a couple years, but Lodge would be a long term investment anyway. We could let him stay down for 4-5 years while he gets bigger, he won't be up anytime soon with all the kids we already have in our system.

I agree about using a pick on a goalie. This year's crop is pretty good, like J17 said the Euro class looks weak but the N.A. class is fairly strong. I think we could get a good one in the 4th or 5th. I think Eric Comrie in Tri-City in just as good as Fucale, lthough he's not as highly ranked in almost every list I've seen this year. I don't know if it's a mental thing that scouts know about that I'm not aware of, but physically, Comrie is just as good if not better IMO. He also has great size. Spencer Martin from Mississauga is also very good. That's the top tier IMO. Tristan Jarry in Edmonton is another rep of the strong WHL class. I think he's at the top of the next tier. Phillipe Desrosiers from the Q is pretty good too, he's lanky and athletic. Others from the WHL are Patrik Bartosak and Brendan Burke. Burke is Sean's son, he hasn't played a lot this season because he's behind Mac Carruth in Portland, who's one of the best goalies in the WHL. But supposedly he's very good and should be drafted this season. Eamon McAdam and Calvin Petersen are the two standouts from the USHL this season. I think McAdam is the better of the two. Jake Patterson from London is having a great season, he's actually 19 but he's solid.

Personally I like Petan, and if he pans out I could see him becoming something like a Briere. But we have a lot of small forward prospects. We really need to inject some size. I'd like to see us pick a couple of power forwards in the first couple rounds.