View Single Post
Old
02-12-2013, 05:24 PM
CoolForumNamePending

vCash: 500
Well if this thread proves anything I guess it's there are probably dozens of different ways to evaluate performance/records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
I beg to disagree. I'm not sure if you are old enough to remember the '98 and '02 games but when you have 8 teams playing in the first round for 8 playoff spots, and no teams eliminated, I would call those exhibition games. I realize they were used for seeding, but that doesn't mean much.
I dunno... I think winning your group and facing a 'second tier' nation in the QF would have provided plenty of motivation. It's not like a team is entering a game not wanting to win. I mean what is more impressive Canada beating Kazahkstan in the QF or beating Sweden in the US in 'meaningless' group games to win the group and theoratically earn the easier path (like facing Kazahkstan in the QF) to their ultimate goal? I get the idea that prelim games shouldn't mean as much as medal round games but to outright dismiss them as exhibition games?

Quote:
For example the World Championships are used for the Olympic seeding and aside from Russia no one really cares enough to send their top players to those tournaments. For the top countries all that really matters is that you get a chance to play the elimination games.
Huh... You're all over the place with whatever point you are trying to make here. Not sure how you telling us who you think cares and doesn't care about the WC is relevant to the topic. I am sure there will be plenty of opportunities for us Canadians to do our god given duty of ambassadors of the sport of hockey and have plenty of tedious threads telling those silly Euros & Russkies how pointless the WC is come May.

Quote:
I think an interesting question is why is there such a big difference between the top team's records in the preliminary round compared to the playoff games? Two of the major reasons are likely that the top teams treat the preliminary round as warm up games and that the lack of experience teams have playing together leads to more random results in the beginning.
I am curious how those numbers play out. What nations are being considered 'top teams'? Are you just counting games played between two top teams or any game featuring a top team regardless of the opponent?

Last edited by CoolForumNamePending: 02-12-2013 at 06:11 PM.
CoolForumNamePending is offline   Reply With Quote