View Single Post
Old
02-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Chevrier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerLeagueAllStar View Post
In my opinion, that's all that should matter right there. The bottom line is that he would make this team better; he's an elite puck possession player, a good playmaker, has speed, decent size, and an elite RH shot. Put him on Datsyuk's wing and he'd score 35, maybe more.

Instead, we signed a merely average offensive player and a below average defensive player in Samuelsson, who as it turns out is an injury risk at 36 years old.

For every jab at Semin's character that you hear from the media, you can find praise for his work ethic from teammates. Furthermore, nobody complains about character when the team is winning. His on-ice performance is worth the risk, especially when the price is only a ONE YEAR DEAL.

It should be obvious to anyone who knows hockey that Semin is a much more valuable asset than Samuelsson. We had the cap space, so if perceived character issues were all that prevented Holland from going after Semin, well, that's just ridiculous in my opinion.
Good post, I agree with most of it but there had to have been some reason why he chose the Canes and I don't necessarily think it had to with the Canes being closer than we are or anything to winning a Cup. Obviously, Semin > Samuelsson though, that's a given. I'm not going to argue Samuelsson over him by any stretch, but you know the Wings LOVE their familiarity. Wings signed Sammy early in free agency, first day I believe and you know they had to have at least inquired about Semin and whoever else was available.

Semin didn't sign til late July on a 1 yr/7 mil contract. That 7 mil would have been made him the highest paid Red Wing, which management obviously thought wasn't going to work. With all the claims in previous seasons that the Wings wouldn't sign anyone to be paid higher than Lidstrom, it would have made Semin the most expensive Wing. Talent through the roof, undeniably skilled for sure, but there have to had been reasons why he either didn't accept or chose a different team.

Chevrier is offline   Reply With Quote