View Single Post
Old
02-12-2013, 09:08 PM
MoreOrr
B4

vCash: 500
Okay, I'm responding to this here because I think it's more correctly a matrix post. Hope that's ok. And I was sort of asked to respond to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
When I took a second look at the map with the colorful realignment map, I thought, why not play with the map and see what I have got. At first, I tried to do with 5 teams division, and 4 teams division but when I got to 3 teams division, it is much better to go with 3 teams division. Let me explain: With the 3 team division, set-up, you could easily group the divisions with the game breakdown:

Divisional game: 2 teams x 8 games = 16 games
Conference games: 12 teams x 3 games = 36 games
Interconference games: 15 teams x 2 games = 30 games
Total games: 82 games

Conference when Phoenix is relocated to Quebec City

Western Conference

Northwest Divison: Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary
Pacific Division: LA, Anaheim, San Jose
Midwest Division: Colorado, Minnesota, Winnipeg
Central Division: St. Louis, Dallas, Nashville
West Great Lakes Division: Chicago, Detroit, Columbus

Eastern Conference

East Great Lakes Division: Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo
Northeast Division: Montreal, Quebec City, Boston
New York Division: NY Rangers, NY Islanders, New Jersey
Mid Atlantic Division: Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington
Southeast Division: Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida

Comment: teams aren't happy but better compromise with main rivalry intact. Dallas gets it better deal with better travel in the division and majority of the east rivalry is kept and Quebec City is added to Northeast Division with Montreal and Boston.

Realignment with Phoenix staying

Western Conference

Northwest Division: Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary
Pacific Division: LA, Anaheim, San Jose
Southwest Division: Colorado, Dallas, Phoenix
Central Division: St. Louis, Columbus, Nashville
Midwest Division: Chicago, Minnesota, Winnipeg

Eastern Conference

Great Lakes Division: Toronto, Detroit, Buffalo
Northeast Division: Montreal, Ottawa, Boston
New York Division: NY Rangers, NY Islanders, New Jersey
Mid Atlantic Division: Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington
Southeast Division: Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida

Comment: Detroit getting the first dibs of moving to the east as promised years ago. The main rivalries kept intact. Detroit playing in the east and regain the rivalry with Toronto. Dallas probably isn't happy with the division set-up but is better than going to California but plays in Phoenix instead with only one hour difference. Chicago will miss Detroit a lot. Columbus is the only loser out of this arrangement.
First off, coolboarder, you might possibly guess that with me this also isn't the first time I've discussed something a bit similar to what you're suggesting above. I can't remember exactly who it was with, but quite a while back another poster and I talked about what he named it as being 3-team pods. I think that we had 3 and 2-team pods that we said could form Divisions together; I don't think we ever actually thought of the 3-team groups as Divisions themselves, though I have seen someone post that idea before as well.

Anyway, a simple comment about why I didn't respond to this idea originally is that I just simply don't think such a thing would ever be considered. Sorry, but that's the first big negative. Secondly, there's still going to be dispute as to which teams should be part of which 3-team group. Just for example, I haven't analyzed your groups closely, and I'm not looking at them now (they're above where I'm writing), so let me put together what I would think could be appropriate 3-team groups, and then I'll/we'll check to see how similar or different my groups are from yours....

Okay, first with 30 teams, keeping Phoenix:
Van, Cal, Edm
SJ, LA, Ana
Pho, Col, Dal
Win, Min, Chi
StL, Nas, Clb
Det, Tor, Buf
Ott, Mon, Bos
NYR, NYI, NJ
Phi, Pit, Was
Car, TB, FLo

Now 30 teams with the Coyotes to Seattle/Portland
Van, Sea/Por, SJ
LA, Ana, Col
Edm, Cal, Win
Dal, StL, Nas
Min, Chi, Clb
Det, Tor, Buf
Ott, Mon, Bos
NYR, NYI, NJ
Phi, Pit, Was
Car, TB, FLo

Now 30 teams with the Coyotes to Quebec City
Van, Edm, Cal
SJ, LA, Ana
Col, Dal, StL
Win, Min, Chi
Nas, Clb, Pit
Det, Tor, Buf
Ott, Mon, QC
Bos, Phi, Was
NYR, NYI, NJ
Car, TB, Flo

Now changing to 33 team, with (and I'm just going to do this with my preference for what teams I'd hope there to be)... Phoenix to Portland, plus Seattle, QC, and Hamilton
Van, Sea, Por
SJ, LA, Ana
Edm, Cal, Win
Col, Dal, Min
StL, Chi, Nas
Det, Clb, Pit
Tor, Ham, Buf
Ott, Mon, QC
Bos, Phi, Was
NYR, NYI, NJ
Car, TB, Flo

So first off, again before comparing with your combinations, I can see that there could be a lot of permutations depending on where teams go (relocation or expansion), so that in itself is a problem because the 3-team groups/Divisions would have to be changed up a fair bit if you wish to create a logical new group for the new city.
Now, let's compare...

Wow, in keeping Phoenix we have it exactly the same.
With moving the Coyotes to QC... Not too different actually. The biggest difference seems to be where we put Detroit.

Anyway, it was an interesting little task,... but still I think with almost no hope of ever being considered. And I didn't even consider your scheduling matrix.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote