View Single Post
Old
02-12-2013, 11:43 PM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Oh don't be mistaken, I'm not apologizing for being misinformed. I'm apologizing because I don't want to be disrespectful to your highness.

Staubitz was decent defensively for a heavyweight.

Ding-ding-ding, we have a winner!

Advanced stats are for people who need backing when those stats go their way. I personally chose to use my 45+ years experience watching and playing the game to make my opinions which, by the way, are no better (nor worse) than anyone else on this forum.

Hope I'm making myself clear.
The advanced numbers actually support his contention that Staublitz didn't stink at defense. His pure defense numbers are fine. No where near good but not why he was such a liability in hockey playing terms. It wasn't defense that made Staublitz stink, its his incredible lack of any offense which meant that you were going to lose the matchup with him on the ice no matter what. Judging by his comparables I'd guess the guy couldn't hack playing above 4th line in the AHL, let alone take a shift in the show without being a massive liability.

Which is why you can't look at defense just in a vacuum unless we're talking PKing. Because you can be brilliant defensively and still be a liability if you shut down your own teams offense to a greater degree. That was why Staublitz does not belong taking any shift in the National Hockey League. That this guy spent games on Plekanec's wing is like fingerpainting on a Rembrant.

Last edited by Talks to Goalposts: 02-12-2013 at 11:51 PM.