View Single Post
Old
02-13-2013, 12:21 AM
OKCDevil

vCash: 500
All this talk of city vs. suburb is sweet, but the simple fact remains how we know cities/suburbs today will be totally different by 2050.

According to a chart in the latest Bloomberg Businessweek, the entire world is on the verge of facing a reproductive recession. EVERYONE all over are having less kids. In America right now, for example, 19 percent of Americans are 60 or older. By 2050, it will jump to 27 percent. Last year, one out of nine people in the WORLD were 60 or older. By 2050? That demographic will outnumber children (0-14) for the first time in history. That same year, SIXTY percent of Japan's population will be 60 or older. More Depends will be bought in Tokyo than Huggies. Think about that.

And to make it related to hockey... who will be around to play this young man's game? Canada is in the same 25-55 percent range the USA will be in in 2050, as will the entirity of Europe, Russia, CHINA, SE Asia, Australia, Brazil, Argentina and Chile. Basically, the crush of Baby Boomers and those same folks not having kids (followed by my generation not having kids) is going to lead to a whole new world come mid-century.

And oh, I love the suburbs. It rocks. There's a certain niceness for living in an urban core, but I've spent my entire life in west-coast style cities, which are spread out. Couldn't imagine living in a confined space such as NYC or Boston. That said, I love vibrant downtowns and glad they are there and that people use them.

OKCDevil is offline   Reply With Quote