View Single Post
Old
02-13-2013, 05:08 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
But we arent talking about Graves and Stevens are we? RW was very strong between 92-2001 (stronger than Centre some years), when Selanne played his best stretch of hockey. I'm well aware that the 2nd best LW is no where near the 3rd best Center. All-Star teams like everything, need to be put in context.
I don't know, are you? If you want to talk about post season all-stars as "proof" of whether or not someone is a "top X player" as opposed to having had a "top season among those at the same position", I'll list all the people you're talking about competing for those positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
If you had looked a little harder you would have seen that in all of Selanne's AST selections he placed 2,2,5,5 in scoring. I guess that technically makes him a "top 3-5" player as that poster was asking.

There's your proof.
Spezza, Kovalchuk, and Kessel were 4th, 5th, and 6th in scoring last year. Know who wasn't in the top 5? Crosby, Kopitar, Gaborik, St. Louis, Neal, the Sedins, Thornton, Tavares, Ovechkin, etc. It's fine to point out that Selanne was a top 5 scorer. That part is fact, and can't be taken away. Neither that, nor the all-star finishes, though, proves anything about where someone would end up on an "overall ranking".

Refer to Selanne as a top 5 scorer in those years all you want, but don't pretend there are no holes in your all-star (and now attempted points finish) defense(s) if you want to stretch that further into the "overall".

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote