View Single Post
Old
02-13-2013, 05:59 AM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I don't know, are you? If you want to talk about post season all-stars as "proof" of whether or not someone is a "top X player" as opposed to having had a "top season among those at the same position", I'll list all the people you're talking about competing for those positions.

Spezza, Kovalchuk, and Kessel were 4th, 5th, and 6th in scoring last year. Know who wasn't in the top 5? Crosby, Kopitar, Gaborik, St. Louis, Neal, the Sedins, Thornton, Tavares, Ovechkin, etc. It's fine to point out that Selanne was a top 5 scorer. That part is fact, and can't be taken away. Neither that, nor the all-star finishes, though, proves anything about where someone would end up on an "overall ranking".

Refer to Selanne as a top 5 scorer in those years all you want, but don't pretend there are no holes in your all-star (and now attempted points finish) defense(s) if you want to stretch that further into the "overall".
I agree that All-Star selections and scoring finishes are not everything. But they definitely need to be looked at when judging players seasons.

I'd say that Selanne was arguably a top-5 forward in 5 different years. It is the whole body of work that he had to show for the years between 95-00 seasons.

For that timeframe he had 4th best PPG and only one player had more games played than him in the top-10- It was John LeClair in the 9th spot. For that timeframe he was 5th in GPG with most games played again after LeClair. Who was 8th in that comparison.

He also had 3 post season AS selections with 1st 2nd and 2nd team.
In that timeframe he was 1st, 1st and 2nd in goalscoring seasons.
He also was 2nd, 2nd, 5th, 7th and 8th in points. He was also top-10 in PPG for every season that time. 95/96=8th in PPG 96/97=5th in PPG 97/98=3rd in PPG 98/99=2nd in PPG 99/00=8th in PPG

I'd say that he has very good case for being top-5 forward in the league for every season and for that 5 season stretch as a whole.

Not a slam dunk sure thing but Selanne has very strong arguments going on for him in every season looked at and considering the whole body of work he probably is about top-5 forward in most those years.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote