View Single Post
Old
02-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Mr Writer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
I'd still really like to see Stamkos at center - he's always played there, he's comfortable there, and he's had fantastic chemistry with St. Louis playing on his RW throughout his career. I don't recall Stamkos ever playing wing (power play time notwithstanding; a Crosby-Stamkos combo on the PP would be lethal). MSL would obviously make my team right now too, and if he's playing at this level come December he should be a lock, IMO.

Eric Staal should be a lock at this point too; he's playing great so far this year (after an off-year last year), and typically heats up in the 2nd half so the best may be yet to come for him this season. The beauty of having Staal there is that you can slot him from lines #1 to #4, either C or LW.

I tend to agree re: Richards, though I think he's the kind of guy that will get the benefit of the doubt from Hockey Canada for what he brings to the table, stuff that can't be measured on the scoreboard. I'd hate to lose his physicality, defensive play, and international experience but realistically there may be better guys available who play a similar style of game (Benn and Couture come to mind) and are on the upswing. Still too early to write him off though, IMO. The Kings as a whole are off to a terrible start, and Richards is coming off an outstanding playoff run.

I've always liked Sharp for this team, but the fact is he's not good enough to be a lock, and there are a bunch of young guys at his heels that can do some of the things that Sharp does, only better. He's kind of an ideal guy to have as your 13th forward, though, as he's versatile and can pretty much do anything or play anywhere you need him to. I'm not sure if chemistry with Toews will get him over the hump, as Toews found great chemisty with two unfamiliar players in 2010 fairly quickly. In my opinion, for Sharp it will come down to which of the young guys are at the top of their game in December, and consequently team needs.

My idea is to put my most accomplished and experienced centers at center. Playing center carries the most defensive responsibilities, so for a player like Stamkos (as as gifted of a sniper he is) will have to match up against every team's 2nd center. (at the Olympics every center on every team should be elite.) I think there'll be less challenges for Staal playing 2nd line center than Stamkos...That was my idea...we'll see how it goes. Again, I don't want too many players playing out of position. So, I see that side of the reasoning as well.

Last edited by Mr Writer: 02-13-2013 at 09:02 AM.