View Single Post
Old
02-13-2013, 09:11 AM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
link ?
I said ''likely'', seeing how we never underpaid for UFAs and looking at how much we signed Prust for. Not to mention, Doan has been playing for the same organization since his early days, so I doubt he would come here at a lower cap hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
So what would have happened in this scenario?

CBA is as currently is and gets settled in October with 82 game schedule. You sign Semin 1 year 6 mil.
EXCEPT no compliance buyouts and as per CBA you can't "bury" cap hits in the minors. You end up having to either pay somebody to take Gomez(2nd or 1st rounder) or trade a player you don't WANT to move. Makes no sense to spend over the cap until the CBA parameters are known.
Why would the CBA be as currently is, without compliance buyouts??
That's what we had early on and they readjusted because NHLPA wasn't going to stand for players staying at home for the rest of the year (let alone a full 82game one).
We can't go into what ifs. We had the previous CBA in July, and under it, we could have signed him. Lockout happened, and we signed a new deal, under it, we could have signed Semin as well.

If the CBA remained the same as the last one, then we could have buried someone.

As I said, we should have went after him. All you're talking about are details though. The main issue I had was that Bergevin said he wasn't interested right from the start. So he didn't know how much he would ask, maybe Semin would have agreed to a 2y deal at 5M, instead of 1y 7M, who knows. He was never approached.