View Single Post
Old
02-13-2013, 09:20 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overg View Post
Well, sort of, yeah. There was the Detroit model (star forwards sacrificing points to play sound defense), the New Jersey model (not really relying on star forwards at all, but rather a rock solid defensive system and superior goaltending), the Colorado model (relying on a combination of star forwards and goaltending, without quite the emphasis on a defensive system), and even the Flyers model (lots of big, tough, players).

The reason I think Dallas was trying to emulate Detroit, rather than the others, was the Stars did have some superstar forwards, but they were asked to reign things in and play ultra-tight defense. I also do recall Dallas management explicitly referring to Detroit as they were building to their Cup runs. Which, given the Wings success and the fact that Lites came from the organization, isn't surprising.

At the end of the day I stand by my position. Dallas was the 3rd wheel because a) they had the least Cups of the three, and b), they never beat the team that is usually credited with being the first wheel . . . Detroit. Colorado also had less overall success than Detroit, but could at least make a claim to being better due to their head to head records (the same holds true for New Jersey versus Detroit).
Agreed. No shame in being the 4th of those teams either, though I put a mental caveat alongside what New Jersey accomplished given that the three other top teams were all battling each other each year out West; they simply had an easier road to the finish line. In any case, it was those four teams and then everyone else during that era. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the reason we can define it as an era is due in very large part to those teams' combined dominance.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote