View Single Post
Old
02-13-2013, 09:24 AM
pdd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
I agree that All-Star selections and scoring finishes are not everything. But they definitely need to be looked at when judging players seasons.

I'd say that Selanne was arguably a top-5 forward in 5 different years. It is the whole body of work that he had to show for the years between 95-00 seasons.
Quote:
95/96=8th in PPG 96/97=5th in PPG 97/98=3rd in PPG 98/99=2nd in PPG 99/00=8th in PPG

I'd say that he has very good case for being top-5 forward in the league for every season and for that 5 season stretch as a whole.

Not a slam dunk sure thing but Selanne has very strong arguments going on for him in every season looked at and considering the whole body of work he probably is about top-5 forward in most those years.
I've already addressed 96-97 and 99-00. So let's look at 1995-96.

We have Selanne tied for seventh in scoring with Kariya with 108 points. Ahead of him we have Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Joe Sakic, Ron Francis (2nd in Selke voting), Peter Forsberg, and Eric Lindros. And in ninth, we have a tied between Selke winner Sergei Fedorov and Alexander Mogilny. Also notable are 13th-place Mark Messier's 99 points (2nd in Hart voting, 2nd team All-star...?) and 19th-place Steve Yzerman's 95 points (3rd in Selke voting).

Mogilny is the only forward there I would consider putting Selanne ahead of for 1995-96; it was a VERY center-heavy year. And Selanne finished behind Mogilny in All-Star voting.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote