View Single Post
Old
02-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Hawkey Town 18

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Crawford is another one of the defensemen I've got in the tier with Hatcher and Neilson. Strong defenseman who played very well for a long time and had a brief peak where he was great. It would be easy to overrate Crawford by looking just at his AST placements, but you have to factor in that he competed and peaked during the single worst period for defensemen play in NHL history.

That being said, strong pick here. He was one of the top 3-4 defensemen left on my board. My post on Crawford's AST placements from the last draft.

Neilson's AST record:

Jim Neilson:
4, 6, 6, 9, 14, 14
I agree that Crawford's record needs to be looked at in the context of era, and appreciate your attempt at converting his record to modern terms. One thing I would like to bring up is that Crawford's 1941-42 season should really be considered higher...

In the voting for Left D AS: Crawford receives 4 votes for 1st team and 3 for Alternate. The undrafted player who was awarded the 2nd AS Team spot received 2 votes for 1st team and 6 for Alternate. In a voting system that gives more weight to 1st team votes (like the modern system) Crawford would have beaten out the undrafted and been awarded the 2nd Team spot. Furthermore, this is backed up by a player's poll from the same year in which Crawford was voted 2nd Team AS.

EDIT: Crawford also appears to have gotten more votes than the 2nd Team Right D winner, so that year could be considered a 3rd place finish for him (before the era adjustment).

Last edited by Hawkey Town 18: 02-13-2013 at 11:57 AM.