View Single Post
Old
02-13-2013, 12:40 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
He's much better at faceoffs, but defensively he doesn't seem any different. Unless you want to include faceoffs as part of defense, then he definitely has improved.

It isn't that he is just not producing, he's not doing anything offensively. He's completely invisible, and maddeningly frustrating to watch on the PP. He's one of the most talented players in the world, and an amazing PP player, and all he does is stand 8 feet from Timonen and pass the puck to him.

Last year he would draw people towards him and slip the puck to an open Timonen, but he'd also take the puck to the slot, or throw it down low to cause some havoc. This year all he does is give the puck to Timonen, who isn't as open as last year because teams are playing the pass more without the threat of Giroux doing anything else.

He has 8 points in 14 games, on pace for 47 in 82 games, after being a PPG player for around 200 games. That's the same amount of points he had 3 years ago, and with way less ice time and Asham on his wing. Normally, I wouldn't care because it's just 14 games, but he isn't creating chances, or doing anything positive offensively. He's the third best player on a line of him Matt Read and Wayne Simmonds. I think he needs a break from the game. One of those early season week between games things would do him good, but unfortunately he doesn't have that luxury this year.
Jagr on his wing allowed Giroux time and space which is lethal...on the PP...Hartnell as a threat in the slot allowed G time and space. G right now has less time and space and is being keyed in on. He is at the critical stage of having to adjust to his opposition's adjustments which have been made more difficult b/c of G's new personnel. What he is dealing with is somewhat normal and understanding but yeah he needs to fight through it...getting frustrated doesn't help. It's actually good to see his D and faceoffs have been better so at least he is not totally regressing..he's just trying to adjust and given his talent I think he will especially if he gets more support.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote