View Single Post
Old
02-13-2013, 01:07 PM
Namejs
The Buffalo Eichels

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
If you look to the future, there is every basis to conclude that the Far East, specifically on the Pacific rim, will be a real growth area for the Russian economy. Vladivostok will be the host of the upcoming Asia-Pacific Economic Conference. The economic power of the Asia-Pacific region is now emerging as one of the World's real growth areas. I see no reason why Vladivostok, a city of more than 600,000, couldn't be a contender for a KHL franchise. The benefit would be that if a team is making the trip to Khabarovsk, it is not much further to go to Vladivostok. They could get in two games for not much more than the price of one. Kind of like Los Angeles and Anaheim in the NHL. I know Vladivostok has no particular hockey history, but it is my understanding that there has been some rink-building going on there. In a city of 600,000, it shouldn't be that difficult to get 8,000-9,000 spectators per game.
From a free market perspective, it is absolutely irrational to create a new team on the other side of the globe.

The only rationale for keeping a team there is:
a) developing a professional hockey team in every part of Russia (so that clearly makes the KHL a Russian hockey league with a primary task of serving local Russian interests);
b) discouraging any decent and actually profitable European teams from joining the league.

Thinking like this defines the KHL and is the main reason why KHL will never be profitable.