View Single Post
Old
02-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Namejs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Namejs

What do you think about bussiness model of european soccer clubs/leagues?
I don't know much about soccer, to be honest, so I can't talk about it in detail.

What I do know is that there's a number of billionaires from various parts of the world, who have acquired football clubs as their personal toys, so they're not expecting any profits to roll in.

If that's what you were hinting at, I don't think KHL is comparable to that in any way, as most of the losses are covered by the Russian government and not hockey-crazed billionaires. It's essentially a single trillionaire - the Russian state, figuratively speaking.

The problem with that is that:
a) those are tax dollars;
b) the flow of money rests on the stability of the Russian political establishment;
c) in case of a larger shift in Russian politics or in case of a global energy crisis, the entire league would collapse miserably, destroying the entire Russian hockey pyramid, along with the hockey pyramid of several other countries.

Because I'm Latvian, I have several other reasons to be against a continued mismanagement of the KHL, as it, in my opinion, damages the chances of developing hockey in Latvia in the long-term. The current situation is absolutely artificial and unsustainable.