View Single Post
Old
02-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolForumNamePending View Post
You could also just as easily say the gold medal game has never not featured a team that one their group.
You could, but I think that would be less significant than the evidence I provided.

Quote:
A single one goal win or loss could be the difference between a team 'impressively' winning their group or 'struggling' to a third place finish in it. Given up to this point how tight things have proven to be amongst those 6 teams (+ Slovakia) as long as they have been competitive I wouldn't be writing any of them off.
You're right, all though many people do write teams off that don't do well in the opening round and also greatly exagerate the importance of seeding. This is a bit off topic, but the only way to make the opening round games more meaningful is to have less teams make it to the playoffs. For example if only the top 4 teams advanced to a SF format then all the games would be critical. It is very hard to have a meaningful opening round when you only have 6 contending teams, but 8 or 12 playoff spots open.

Quote:
The problem with thinking this is that in reality only once in 4 tournaments has the eventual winner had to in both the SF and final beat a team with a better record than them entering the game. In '06 Sweden didn't have to play a team with a better record than them until the final. The year that it did happen was '98 and in that year the Czech Rep. was less than a period away from winning their group.
Exactly, because the prelim round records don't really mean anything, and the teams with the better prelim records don't necessarily make it any deeper in the tournament.

Quote:
IMHO it isn't any less valid than your method. To be honest though regardless of how we look at things none of it probably means that much. In my case I just really don't have a life and need something to argue about and pass the time.
Maybe not, but at least there is some evidence to back up what I am saying.

Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote