View Single Post
Old
02-13-2013, 04:24 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
I have a really hard time placing Pratt. On the one hand, his AST voting record:

Babe Pratt:
1, 3, 5, 8, 9

...looks really impressive at this point, but on the other hand, these results came in the five year timespan from the 1941-42 to the 1945-46 season, and Pratt was almost immediately out of the league once all of the teams got back to full strength in spite of the fact that he was just beginning his 30's.

Until the war years rolled around, Pratt had basically been a journeyman, and suddenly he exploded during the war and won a Hart trophy. We know that he played a fairly undisciplined style of hockey, and I wonder if maybe his game was better suited to the more wide-open war years than to the league in its normal state.

Babe Pratt and Flash Hollett have basically the same career path: almost nothing before the war, big stars during the war, nothing after. Hollet was three years older and at least has the alibi that he was maybe past his athletic peak as the war was ending, but Pratt doesn't really have that excuse. I think both guys were basically what baseball people would call AAAA players. Guys with a lot of talent who are dominant at a lower level, but can't really translate that success in the show. If not for the war, I wonder if we would know who they are.
Pratt's drinking, gambling, and general playboy lifestyle probably contributed to his quick downfall. (He's a guy who should be a lock for your all-party team).