View Single Post
Old
02-13-2013, 05:10 PM
Lshap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Weber could really be serviceable to a team such as Detroit, who lost depth and has injuries on their blue line. That being said, the Habs, a team already counting on players such as Kaberle, Markov, Diaz, Subban... Weber has close to no value for us and offers absolutely no diversity.

Are there a lot of players like Kassian on the waivers in a year? No. Simply because there are not that many heavyweights available out there.

The fact that Weber can have some value on another team and might be appreciated elsewhere has no importance and doesn't change the fact that Weber, on this Montreal team, is just more of the same. And with the future on the blueline, it's obvious Weber is going to get dealt at some point. And looking back at his only "performance" this year (if you want to call it like that), and the fact he just doesn't play, there comes a time where you have to take a decision and do what's best for your team.

You can always say "Well we can wait..." The fact is, this season is only 48 games long, and the other 11 games against divisional opponents will likely determine whether or not we're making the playoffs. And with our current blend of players and our current approach, we're 2-5 against them.

Weber is nothing like defensive depth. He's redundant, and offers nothing more than what we have. You wanna add a guy that is big and can clear the crease? Absolutely. That's what I call depth, because the guy gives your team different elements. Weber? Sincerly, the way he's playing, I'm not even sure he'd break the top-4 in Hamilton right now.
Heavyweights may be hard to find, but tough fighters aren't. Last year we got Staubitz. The guy was a fighter, was well-liked, was good for team morale, but did nothing on the ice and was gone soon afterwards. Tough guys like him aren't hard to find. So what's the incremental benefit of an actual heavyweight versus another tough guy? In a game like Saturday where we're being creamed and all hell breaks loose, yeah, it'd be nice to have Kassian. But for the other 47 games... not so much.

Yes, we need size, especially on defense where it can actually affect the entire game. Or with another power forward who uses size to score goals. On the other hand, a guy like Kassian will be useful for 30 seconds every now and then, and then only once the game has stopped. It'll be a warm & fuzzy 30 seconds I grant you, but it won't help us win a single game.

I think we're having this debate only because of the road-rage we felt after the Toronto game -- never mind the speed limit, never mind the kids in the back seat, never mind the dinner reservations or my wife screaming at me to slow down, the only thing in my head is to get that p.o.s. who cut me off!! But that's not improving the team, it's just a response to one frikkin' game. Forget Toronto. That game will never happen again. Think Philadelphia. We consistently get shoved off our game by their bigger, tougher skilled players. Respond to that model -- those games aren't won by major brawls, but by overall toughness and skill. Your point about Weber is good -- he's redundant. But if he leaves, I'd rather bring up Tinordi to fill the spot. Tinordi's not a fighter, but he'll accomplish what Kassian could not: An intimidating presence who can contribute on the ice and help us beat the Flyers, Bruins, Sens and, yes, Leafs.

Having said that, I know Tinordi's not ready and I'd be okay signing Kassian to a cheap one-year deal similar to Staubitz. But under no illusion that he's the missing piece.