View Single Post
Old
02-13-2013, 05:20 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Heavyweights may be hard to find, but tough fighters aren't. Last year we got Staubitz. The guy was a fighter, was well-liked, was good for team morale, but did nothing on the ice and was gone soon afterwards. Tough guys like him aren't hard to find. So what's the incremental benefit of an actual heavyweight versus another tough guy? In a game like Saturday where we're being creamed and all hell breaks loose, yeah, it'd be nice to have Kassian. But for the other 47 games... not so much.

Yes, we need size, especially on defense where it can actually affect the entire game. Or with another power forward who uses size to score goals. On the other hand, a guy like Kassian will be useful for 30 seconds every now and then, and then only once the game has stopped. It'll be a warm & fuzzy 30 seconds I grant you, but it won't help us win a single game.

I think we're having this debate only because of the road-rage we felt after the Toronto game -- never mind the speed limit, never mind the kids in the back seat, never mind the dinner reservations or my wife screaming at me to slow down, the only thing in my head is to get that p.o.s. who cut me off!! But that's not improving the team, it's just a response to one frikkin' game. Forget Toronto. That game will never happen again. Think Philadelphia. We consistently get shoved off our game by their bigger, tougher skilled players. Respond to that model -- those games aren't won by major brawls, but by overall toughness and skill. Your point about Weber is good -- he's redundant. But if he leaves, I'd rather bring up Tinordi to fill the spot. Tinordi's not a fighter, but he'll accomplish what Kassian could not: An intimidating presence who can contribute on the ice and help us beat the Flyers, Bruins, Sens and, yes, Leafs.

Having said that, I know Tinordi's not ready and I'd be okay signing Kassian to a cheap one-year deal similar to Staubitz. But under no illusion that he's the missing piece.
There is no team in this whole league that has to go through this kind of game as often as Montreal. It will happen again. It happened before, it happened this week, it'll happen again.

Tinordi is a very good prospect, but if you think he's on pace to become an intimidating presence out there, you might be in for a disappointment. The guy is far from mastering this part of the game as of now.

I'm not a HW fighter lover. I don't particularly like Kassian. But the rules of the game have been set in this division. And we HAVE to follow them if we want to play the same game.