View Single Post
Old
02-13-2013, 05:38 PM
ozo

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
That would have both upsides and downsizes.

I admit it is not really a healthy situation when there is only one elite hockey club in a hockey country. Latvian hockey could benefit from more competition inside its borders.

Then again, forming a good domestic hockey league requires money which Latvia does not have. If Dinamo Riga was to be dismembered where would it's players go. They would not play in Latvian league but they would go the other KHL clubs or Finnish, Swedish, Czech, Swiss, German etc. leagues.

The only change Latvian hockey fans to see players like Karsums, Indrasis and foreigners such as Giroux is that Dinamo remains in the KHL.

And why can't Latvia form a domestic league while Dinamo plays in the KHL? They are not mutually exclusive things.
Your first fully rational post in ages. I agree, and, unfortunately, I can't really answer the question you pose in the last paragraph because it's truly baffling.

Personally (I'm not pretending everyone agrees with me) I'm ok with giving up the cream of the crop as long we have at least BOL-like league. So our up and coming kids can have place where to start their pro careers in their home and not feeding Swedish second tier junior teams till they end their careers prematurely. Basically KHL (and it's orbit) is great for everyone in it, but leaves rest of our hockey in a deep, deep ditch.