View Single Post
Old
07-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Thank you for the sanity you bring to discussions like these.
At the end of the day, any deal will come down to the players involved.

But I try to ask a few questions when it comes to Bell, and that's where my POV is from. I usually come up with the following views.

A. We don't have a player like Mark Bell and like a lot of people, we could really use one.

B. Players like Bell are pretty rare. Honestly, how many guys with his size, at his age are in the NHL right now? Not too many.

C. For all the talk that he "only" score 25 goals, that would've been good enough for third on the Rangers this year. That's also not considering that his numbers would likely have been higher playing on a better/more offensive team. It wouldn't be unfair to say he easily would've score 30 or even 35 goals on the Rangers last season.

D. He's entering that age where there could be something really special waiting. At 26 he's starting to enter that 4-5 year period where Power forwards really hit their stride. If his offense never hits a higher level, he could net 30 on a good team. If it does, you might have something really valuable.

E. Bell has always been a work in progress. This was a kid who going to develop over the long haul and he has. He's gotten better every season and he's done it on some pretty weak Chicago teams.

At the end of the day, his age and his production on bad teams is going to cost a team who wants him, assuming Chicago is even crazy enough to move him. You want a player like that, it's going to cost you. People are funny with trades. They'll say something like "Immonen and a second is fair" but we have to ask ourselves if Hugh Jessiman became a 25 goal, 50 point player at the age of 26 would we want to trade him for a 24 year old minor league center who looks good but not GREAT and a pick that is likely to be in the 50-60 range?

Probably not. So if we're not willing to make that trade, then you can't expect another team to.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote