02-13-2013, 11:09 PM
Namejs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
Yes because it is that simple, KHL should hire this guy
It is that simple.

Quote:
How is Amur counter-productive? Please can you explain this to me? In the past five years the Economy of Khabarovsk has doubled.
God almighty.

Amur travels some 140 000 kilometers every regular season (with that rate they could've went to the Moon and back since 2008).

If you would add up the total number of additional kilometers traveled by each team because of Amur, that figure would explode. It's a major strain on the finances of each team. My gut feeling says that if you'd add up the transportation costs, accomodation costs, the strain on the league's schedule, the negative effect on tv ratings (you can't watch the away game vs. Amur in Europe, because of the time difference) and the potential negative effect on the players' form (tiredness, insomnia, interrupted circadian rhythms due to the jet lag and a 9x2-hour-flight), the total losses would outweigh the gains, if there's a decent alternative available in Europe (European Russia, Norway or Poland, it doesn't matter).

I haven't really dug into that tbh, but chances are that detailed transportation costs haven't been published anywhere, so I'm afraid we can only speculate about this. Well, at least I haven't seen anything of that sort.

Quote:
The goal should be to establish teams in regions that have hockey interest, as the Russian economy continues to grow less and less assistance will be required as simple free market will take over, sponsorship from the government will continue for years if you want to maintain a good level of hockey and have decent players in the competition. This is not something that can be achieved in a couple of years but it is the only way, looking at the fundamentals and changes in the Russian economy it should continue to grow at a good rate for the next 20 years.
Looking at the fundamentals? OK. The Russian economy is still largely based on raw materials, which is a pretty volatile and risky thing, if you ask me. Especially considering the way shale gas is going to change the natural gas market in Europe and everyhwere else, but that's a different topic, I'm afraid.

Quote:
Which is what they are working on, You do understand in the perfect world it would be simple to attain this but realistically it will take years, it is not like the KHL can simply go to a European Country which has a big Hockey following and bring them to the KHL. They face many barriers.
Sure, but you have to understand that when facing a choice between westward expansion and maintaining a club in Russian Far East, the latter choice is irrational, which is my main point here. It's just common sense.

Quote:
Russian Far East is around 7 million people.
More like 6 and shrinking in an area the size of mainland Unites States.

Quote:
So are you saying far east places, lets say Sakhalin where I was last week with a population of around half a million and and enormous economy while having a GDP Per Capita (PPP) higher than the likes of Canada, Germany etc (You are the one obsessing about GDP Per Capita - Figures from the IMF) shows that the Far East has limited economic capacity?
Just because the place has oil and gas fields, doesn't mean it's not an isolated ****hole, which doesn't have a single urban area large enough to host an ice hockey team.