Thread: KHL Expansion
View Single Post
Old
02-14-2013, 04:16 AM
Peter25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
Do you think Karsums, Indrasis, Darzins, Sprukts, Redlihs, Bartulis and Galvins would play in the Latvian league if it was formed next season? Of course not.

Dinamo Riga is not a direct competitor for the possible Latvian domestic league, because the top Latvian players would not play in the domestic league. They would play in the KHL and other top Euro leagues. More players would also play in the AHL, ECHL etc.

Currently the only chance of Latvian hockey fans to see quality hockey is Dinamo Riga.

Personally I don't care whether Dinamo stays in the KHL or not. I don't like that Russian money is being spent to finance non-Russian hockey clubs. But if I think this from Latvia's perspective I would keep Dinamo Riga in the KHL and try to form that domestic league at the same time. Keep those two as separate entities. Or maybe Dinamo could have it's farm club in the domestic league if it's level is high enough.
I'm sorry to quote my own post, but I was thinking that Kazakhstan has a similar situation that I described there.

Kazakhstan has Barys Astana in the KHL. They also have two teams (Ust-Kamenogorsk and Karaganda) in the VHL. And they have their own domestic league where Barys' farm team plays for.

Maybe this is a model that Latvia could also aim for? Of course Kazakhstan has oil money and Latvia does not.