View Single Post
Old
02-14-2013, 05:02 AM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
You traded up for Leo Boivin?!

I can think of at least one physical defenseman I'd take before Boivin without a second thought. Boivin was sort of a fringe top-10 guy for some number of years in the league, but he doesn't have a discernable peak. If Boivin is not in the hall, when does he get drafted just based on his achievements?
We traded up from 297, because we absolutely believe that Leo Boivin wouldn't of been available at our original spot. We understand that Boivin was not the best defenceman available, but he brings exactly what we were looking for as a #4 defenceman to complement Frantisek Pospisil and out group of defenceman. It's not about picking the best player available at each selection, but the one that will help you win the most games. We are thrilled to round out our top-4 at defence will a player that brings such attribute to the ice.

For the record, the only defenceman I had ahead of Boivin was Gus Mortson, but we didn't thought he fits our need as well. I believe Boivin belongs in a group of half-a-dozen to ten defenceman that brings different skillset to the table and deserve to be selected at that range.

PS: Steve Shutt was #1 on our list at #280. In hindsight, we should of gone with him at #274 and Boivin at #280. However, our plan B might be just better (Hope I don't jinx it)