View Single Post
Old
02-14-2013, 07:37 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog2735 View Post
Besides the fact that Karmanos never wanted to keep the team in Hartford, the biggest issue the Whalers faced was not getting a strong corporate support from the city. I still believe that if NHL hockey were to work in the state of CT, then any potential ownership group who is looking to build an arena (b/c one is obviously definitely needed) should be looking in the New Haven area. It is closer to the Fairfield County big money and is more accessible then Hartford to the state as a whole. I also believe that the smart thing to do would have been to try to convince the Islanders to come here instead of Brooklyn. It would have been a long shot but I think in the long run would be a better option for that franchise than the Barclays Center.
No way would it benefit the NYI going to Connecticut nor would the name make much sense. The NYI are rebuilding through the draft and will sign free agents. Brooklyn gives them an opportunity that the Island could not provide. The Islanders have no excuses. The boro of Brooklyn is bigger than most cities in the country. NYC is the media capital of the world. I actually think that the Devils are more compromised by this move.

I miss the Hartford Whaler teams. I have always loved the colors, players, and the uniqueness of the situation (Conn. only professional sports team).
The latter being one of several reasons in todays world why I cant see a new NHL Team in that state.
Way too many teams in the league as we speak. Competition and talent has been watered down for years. No more expansion.