View Single Post
Old
02-14-2013, 08:38 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I don't buy your argument re: Canada and possible regression. When you add players the caliber of Stamkos, Giroux, Tavares, Pietrangelo + a few others to a line-up that includes an even better and more accomplished Bergeron and Towes, then I see this as the best Canadian team since the NHL got involved. Not saying Canada is a lock to win gold, and it's quite possible they'll leave without a medal, single game elimination tournaments are always crap shoot. But your analysis is dead wrong.

The USA I don't see as being any tangibly better than they were in 2010, but still a solid gold medal contending team.

I agree with you on the Russians though. They don't have their best team, but on home-ice, a highly motivated team is always dangerous.
I'm sorry, Canadians coming off a gold medal and not playing in Canada any more. can only go down. Don't get me wrong Grioux Tavares and Stamkos will get their gold medals but it won't be this one. Maybe 2018. Their quality is good, but the last Olympics it just seemed as like it was destiny for Canada to win and that team was so well built. I'd rather take Iginla in 2010, Nieds, Pronger all a bunch of ridiculous respected veterans all pushing. You need this. For example, see 2002 Sakic and Yzerman. I don't see that with this Canada team. Once you reach the top of the pyramid, the only place to go is back down.

The USA team will be better. They brought more young talent than ever before in the last Olympics and all those players have developed. With the goaltending of the US trumping that of anyone else with the exception of Lundqvist going on a run, they are more devloped, have a core that's coming into or in its prime: Brown, Backes, Oshie, Kane, Kesler, Ryan, Callahan, Yandle, Kessel, Parise. All of these guys have a minimum of five years in the NHL and mostly all have been to the Olympics before.