View Single Post
Old
02-14-2013, 07:45 AM
Mr Writer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
I'm sorry, Canadians coming off a gold medal and not playing in Canada any more. can only go down. Don't get me wrong Grioux Tavares and Stamkos will get their gold medals but it won't be this one. Maybe 2018. Their quality is good, but the last Olympics it just seemed as like it was destiny for Canada to win and that team was so well built. I'd rather take Iginla in 2010, Nieds, Pronger all a bunch of ridiculous respected veterans all pushing. You need this. For example, see 2002 Sakic and Yzerman. I don't see that with this Canada team. Once you reach the top of the pyramid, the only place to go is back down.

The USA team will be better. They brought more young talent than ever before in the last Olympics and all those players have developed. With the goaltending of the US trumping that of anyone else with the exception of Lundqvist going on a run, they are more devloped, have a core that's coming into or in its prime: Brown, Backes, Oshie, Kane, Kesler, Ryan, Callahan, Yandle, Kessel, Parise. All of these guys have a minimum of five years in the NHL and mostly all have been to the Olympics before.
You make a decent argument, but I don't buy it. Again, Canada 2014 will be a better team than 2010, but that doesn't guarantee squat. Neidermyer is loss. minus Pronger or Iginla on big ice? No. They meant little to a veteran heavy team in 2006. In fact if Pronger were still playing today and at the top of his game, I wouldn't include him going to Sochi.