View Single Post
Old
02-14-2013, 09:22 AM
JackSlater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
I'm sorry, Canadians coming off a gold medal and not playing in Canada any more. can only go down. Don't get me wrong Grioux Tavares and Stamkos will get their gold medals but it won't be this one. Maybe 2018. Their quality is good, but the last Olympics it just seemed as like it was destiny for Canada to win and that team was so well built. I'd rather take Iginla in 2010, Nieds, Pronger all a bunch of ridiculous respected veterans all pushing. You need this. For example, see 2002 Sakic and Yzerman. I don't see that with this Canada team. Once you reach the top of the pyramid, the only place to go is back down.
This makes no sense. You are basically implying that once you win, you can't win again. Canada only had two lines playing well in 2010, and was carried by three defencemen until Niedermayer emerged late in the tournament. Goaltending was in no way special. There is obviously much room for improvement.The small ice was beneficial in 2010, but I'm not convinced the home crowd helped. I doubt Canada sits back as much in the knockout games if they are playing in front of a non-Canadian crowd and not feeling tons of pressure from the whole country.

Keep in mind, Canada's best players in the last Olympics were the new guys like Weber, Doughty, Keith and Toews. Does that mean that it will happen this time? No, but it is ridiculous to suggest that Canada can only be worse due to missing out on some veterans types who weren't even valuable in the last tournament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
The USA team will be better. They brought more young talent than ever before in the last Olympics and all those players have developed. With the goaltending of the US trumping that of anyone else with the exception of Lundqvist going on a run, they are more devloped, have a core that's coming into or in its prime: Brown, Backes, Oshie, Kane, Kesler, Ryan, Callahan, Yandle, Kessel, Parise. All of these guys have a minimum of five years in the NHL and mostly all have been to the Olympics before.
The USA team should be slightly more talented, but the reasons for their success in 2010 were gelling quickly and great goaltending, not really talent. There is no guarantee that they gel as quickly this time, and in fact it's unlikely. They also probably do not get goaltending as good as Miller provided in 2010.