View Single Post
Old
02-14-2013, 08:27 AM
jakethesnake23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
i'm late with a response (busy couple of weeks) but here it goes. the thing with genetics is mainly fast twitch versus slow twitch muscle fiber (tho there's also the cardiovascular system) and you can be born with different amounts of each. the theory goes that sprinters are born with more fast twitch, marathoners with more slow twitch. however, the majority of people are not at the extremes and when you're talking about pro athletes, the spread is probably much smaller. additionally, there is some indication you can convert muscle fiber from one type to the other. you can certainly develop each type to its fullest potential. a player with slightly more fast twitch muscle fiber but poor technique and/or conditioning is going to be .... a poor skater.

when we're talking about fast players versus slow hockey players, the overwhelming different maker is conditioning and technique and technique is LEARNED. technique can also be changed. the reason players can't turn their skating around overnight is because it's very difficult - they've all developed their own idiosyncrasies since they were originally taught to skate and, frankly, some were taught by better teachers. also some spent more time over the years keeping their "chops" up, working with skating coaches or being lucky enough to have a hockey coach who could keep them on track. in any case, those techniques are ingrained by the time you reach the NHL. it's all muscle memory. it may take a player several years or more working with a good instructor to achieve any kind of change but it can be done and booth is the example we are all familiar with. could parros do it too? there's no reason why not.

finally, if you read some of the material out there (say, twist's book on conditioning for hockey or blatherwick's codification of the russian's overspeed training methods), you most certainly would come away with the opinion that speed and quickness can and is being taught. these concepts are what is driving training/conditioning in the NHL now and it's why the players and the game have become so much faster in the past 10+ years.
Fair enough, you make some good points that I agree with. I will conceed that there is more technique/skill in skating than there is in running, so proper technique/skill can make up for a lack of God-given speed. I also freely admit that one can improve skating. I guess we were just arguing degrees.