Old
02-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
Douglas Murray and Robyn Regehr would probably be the better targets this offseason for the Habs defensive needs. They can play third pairing, add some size, and play the PK. Rob Scuderi and Toni Lydman would be other options that will cost more and be higher up the depth chart. John Erskine and Andrew Alberts could be two targets for the #7 dman spot as veterans with size and don't hurt the team when they are needed to step into the lineup. Although a trade for a top 3 dman to play with Markov and Subban, and push the others down the depth chart would be awesome to shore up the defensive unit.
Well, I hope the pro scouts are looking, anyway. I have not been reassured that Murray is still able to keep up. I know on paper and from reputation some of those guys look desirable, and there aren't a lot of D available, so they are going to get multi-year offers for good money from some teams out there. I just want to make sure my team does its homework and doesn't spend on the guy who can't live up to the deal anymore.

I would like to get one regular D with size, like the guys you mentioned on the upper end, then maybe a tough depth guy like Erskine as well... but we also have to be careful about not closing off a spot for Tinordi... if you have to sign one of the better guys on that list to a multi-year deal, it could have that effect. My inclination from viewings so far would be to let Tinordi have another year in the AHL at least, but I'm not sure the Habs will agree, plus Tinordi is going to have a long training off-season, so might come to camp more ready than he is at the end of this season. Also, with the Bulldogs possibly being out early, it's entirely likely Tinordi comes here at the end of the season.

Anyway, general idea of adding size on the blueline is the right approach. It's still a bit early to really zero in on how to do that. But still worth mulling some of the options that might be in the mix. I would definitely approach it via free agency and building from within, though.