View Single Post
Old
02-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Kjell Dahlin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
I don't know anyone who really thought Plekanec was worse than Desharnais except maybe Patofqc.

On another note, I would let Desharnais walk at $4M too. I'm hoping for something long-term around $2M, that would be ideal. The only way he gets $4M now is if he either gets really, really, really hot or we make the playoffs and he turns into Saku Koivu.

Even if all he ends up being is a 3rd line "Danny Briere" type guy, I'm fine with that if he comes cheap. Especially if he continues to be one of the better shootout guys in the league. I'll admit I was wrong on his high end talent if I'm wrong, but I'm still happy he made it this far.

One thing I have noticed is that he's not playing the same game he was last year (besides fighting the puck). I've seen him go to the boards more times this year than I did all of last year when trying to enter the zone. He's not a guy you can play dump and chase with - its somewhat frustrating. If that's a team system thing, he definitely doesn't fit into that, so either find a solution by replacing him or changing up the tactic for his line.
I noticed that (the bolded part) too and I think it’s mainly *1 because Cole and Pacioretty were not driving the net as hard and fast as last season; especially Cole. I did like Cole vs TB though.

To maximise Desharnais’s input, you need to give him speedy wingers (not necessarily big; Gallagher would be a good winger for DD imo) who drive the net hard. It would open up the middle; enough for Desharnais to create a play. Under those circumstances, I think he can thrive even under Therrien’s system.

The guy is a gifted hard worker. As long as his salary remains cap friendly, he is a good asset.

I also want to comment on "... If that's a team system thing, he definitely doesn't fit into that, so either find a solution by replacing him or changing up the tactic for his line."

I work in the environmental science field so I know that diversity is always a good thing. It makes the “whole” more resilient. Long story short, I think it may be beneficial to allow Desharnais’ line a little West/East breathing room without jeopardizing the team overall strategy. In fact, it would add something imo.

A quick note regarding Patofqc... he/she sure is a passionate poster and, though I usually disagree with him/her, I can’t help but smile when I read his/her posts!

*1 Just for the record: I did use the word “mainly” here: I am not implying that our former #1 line sucked strictly because of Cole and Pacioretty! Desharnais’ reaction time was slower than last season and he had problems handling the freakin’ puck. I do however think that, thus far this season, Desharnais played better than Cole and Pacioretty.