View Single Post
Old
02-14-2013, 01:07 PM
john g

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RASHEED FLYER FAN View Post
Thanks for all the responses guys, the advice is invaluable to someone like me who doesn't come from a Hockey background. Also, I appreciate that no two peoples experiences will be alike so its great to get differing outlooks and answers to the same question.

FWIW based on all the information on this thread I think we'll try and get him on the ice 3 times a week (at least) for 6 months then look to enroll him in Hockey sometime later this year regardless of whether he has mastered skating or not as per the recommendations of CornKicker and Malreg. He turns 7 in the Fall so maybe that will be the appropriate time to do so.

Again thanks very much.
This is the approach I took with my daughter and skating. When she expressed interest in going, between school and other things we had her enrolled in at the time, I wanted her to want to go.

We went to public skating for a good six months just to have fun. I'd remind her the day before skating to tell me tomorrow if she wanted to go, as I didn't want it to seem like me forcing it upon her. I wanted to make it fun and not seem like a requirement. To this day it seemed like the right choice with my eldest, granted kids are not all the same but the pushiness of parents is something I never understood.

john g is offline   Reply With Quote