View Single Post
Old
02-14-2013, 01:29 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKQ View Post
Before this year I was a huge Coyle supporter and a huge Strome detractor, but Strome has improved his game immensely and I would say he now has a very good shot at being an offensively talented player in the NHL. Still a big Coyle fan, but he doesn't have Strome level upside IMO
This, exactly. ^

Although it is an odd question, and comparing apples to oranges (as opposed to Strome vs. Granlund, or Coyle vs. Niederreiter), I concur fully with what was said above, including myself being a Strome detractor up until this season and the WJCs (where I thought he was crap last year).

The only real thing preventing Strome from truly being great is that he tends to not use all of his linemates or see the entire ice equally well. He can tend to hog the puck a bit and wait too long to make plays, and seams close on him. I've also see many examples where he'll just play catch and beautiful gives & goes with one or two guys on the ice (i.e. in the offensive zone), while totally missing some the other player or two who may be left wide open and in better scoring positions. He needs to see the ice and use his linemates better, and make quicker decisions with the puck on his stick. But his "upside" remains tremendous; we'll see if he gets all the way there or not.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote