Thread: News Article: Sharks GM Doug Wilson & Goalie Pads
View Single Post
Old
02-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

vCash: 500
I really like this topic. I keep telling people this, but nobody that's younger agrees with me. How much larger have the nets gotten in the last 20-30 years? I'm not sure if they've increased at all, but I can't confirm that. The equipment has increased much more than the nets I can guarantee that. Why was there so much more scoring back in the day? Why was an 870 save percentage considered good, but now that's unacceptable? It's because the equipment has gotten bigger. People have told me ''Well the goalies are bigger'' Yeah? And so's the equipment on those big goalies! Are the goalies today more talented? Maybe some of them are, but not as drastic as the numbers say.

Take Patrick Roy for example. Back in the 80s, and early 90s he had 900-910 save percentages for a season. Even below 900 for a couple seasons. That was above average for that time period. Then he increased his equipment in the late 90s, and started wearing the oversized jersey, and at the end of his career he was putting up 920-925 save percentages for a year. There's a direct correlation with a goalies save percentages increasing when the same goaltender has increased their equipment over their career. He's just one example. Another would be Sean Burke.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote