View Single Post
Old
02-14-2013, 03:35 PM
source

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Well, if he wants to go, he's deserved that much.

I'd only really tolerate it, as a fan, if he won the Cup.

Otherwise, it ends up like a Wayne Gretzky stint in St. Louis, or a Mats Sundin in Vancouver.
Not quite. As a matter of proportion, Alfie would play far less games for a foreign team than those two players. As a matter of principle, Alfie would still be just as much an Ottawa Senator when he retires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
This thread again...

Alfredsson said years ago that if it was best for the team he'd accept a trade.

Every player wants to win the cup. You'll never hear a player say "yeah I want to win the cup, but not on that team"

Get serious. Of course Alfredsson is going to say he wants to win here and finish his career here, but the harsh reality is that only one of those options remains viable.

The fans are irrational when it comes to Alfredsson, but just look at the facts. The team is decimated with injuries. Our two best players are gone for the year. Alfredsson is 40 years old, and clearly right at, or damn close to the end of the line.

For sure some contender would LOVE an Alfredsson / Gonchar addition at the deadline.

They are both UFA's to be anyway.

If Alfie wants to keep playing...sign him in the off season. If not, offer him some token ambassador position in the organization.

To me it's a no brainer. Our season is finished. Let go of the past and look to the future.
Agreed with this, except for the last part. It's not about "letting go of the past". I'm willing to bet that 99% of the fans here will be happy with whatever Alfie decides, because they know he'll be bringing the Cup back to Ottawa in the summer if he wins it.

source is offline   Reply With Quote