Blue Goose
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Speak for yourself. I'll take the deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
So you would trade from a position of weakness to bolster a position of strength? Not exactly a conventional strategy...
I totally understand that it's not conventional. But I was looking at the teams who might be the most interested and willing to offer the best players in return (and the fact that I got both a Sharks fan AND a Pens fan to agree to the deal tells me I might be on to something).

But I'll defer to your better judgment and offer this: If you get PIT to part with Harrington, for example, then I would turn around and trade a D prospect in a package for the coveted forward that you seek. Trying to get that forward in exchange for Clowe could prove difficult. As I mentioned, the teams that would be interested in acquiring a UFA forward at the deadline aren't going to trade away a forward that would likely replace the UFA if he were to sign elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
As for as SJ's defense prospects, it's not like we have high-end guys, but the Sharks have a habit of churning out mid-early twenty year old #4-#6's every year. Two years ago it was Demers. Last year it was Braun. This year, it's Irwin. The Sharks org does a real good job of getting these guys as FAs or in the 7th round. Then you look at Vlasic (25) and Burns (27) and we already have our young top-pairing. Demers, Braun, Irwin, these guys are fine as second pairing guys. Sena Acolatse was putting up great numbers in Worcester before breaking his jaw blocking a shot. I've watched the kid, I think he's next year's Irwin. Matt Tennyson too, he's a really good puck-mover with good potential. Both of those guys were signed as free agents out of college/CHL.

So basically, defensive prospects do nothing for the Sharks. Our defense at the NHL level is pretty young (except Boyle), and we have enough role players playing above expectation that I'm not concerned about our 4-6 spots now or in the future.

We have the opposite situation on our hands at the forward position. Thornton and Marleau are 33, and easily our best forwards. We have no one, save Hertl, whom I love to death having watched a dozen of his Czech Extraliiga games and all his WJC games too, who is even close to a guaranteed top-6 forward. Matt Nieto is talented, but a risky player. Freddie Hamilton looks to be projecting as more of a 2nd/3rd line tweener. No one else is really worth talking about right now.

If we trade Clowe for futures, it'll be for a high pick, or for a good forward prospect.
Makes perfect sense. On the one hand, as I'm a fan of a team who's NOT really loaded with good D prospects, I could argue that you can never have enough depth on defense in the pipeline. But I totally see where you're coming from - in fact, I would take my logic one step further and offer this:

Send Clowe to Pittsburgh for Harrington and a 2nd.
Send Harrington and the 2nd to St. Louis for Matt D'Agostini and a 4th.

To me, that would help all THREE teams address their needs, with trade value distributed evenly.

Blue Goose is offline   Reply With Quote