View Single Post
Old
02-14-2013, 05:42 PM
OilersFan1978

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
I don't know about that. And of course, I truly don't know because I don't live there. But I think they're be fairly equal, with the NBA slightly ahead, though the NHL could take away that slight advantage.
Trust me, as a former Washingtonian who lived just south of Seattle for a good decade, the NBA will have the significant advantage from day one. I don't really care for the NBA or the Sonics--personally I'm just hoping Seattle gets an NHL team--but they would be selling our like crazy even if the team was an expansion team. The Sonics WERE Seattle for years until Schultz did his best impression of Art Modell and all but guaranteed their relocation because he didn't think the deal through. It had nothing to do with fans' support or lack thereof.

There are a lot of NHL fans in the northwest and having the NHL in the northwest will be a huge thing, but it will take time for them to become a proven commodity that people in the northwest will go nuts for on an annual basis just because there's no real NHL tradition there (Metropolitans and Totems don't really count, people, so don't harp on me for that point). Even if the team is a good relocated Coyotes club, it will still take time.

Stern might be on his way out the door, but he knows the Seattle market (and this NBA/NHL arena situation) well enough to know that the NBA will be the top dog in that building no matter how this deal shakes out, be it through expansion or relocation via Sacramento. The NBA will always have the advantage in that city even if they aren't the more competitive team, but the NBA and NHL are going to appeal to different kinds of people so there won't really be a ton of competition for fan bases or anything.