View Single Post
Old
02-14-2013, 07:14 PM
gmjevtwa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/0...mple-solution/

The option that fans/media in Sacramento was pushing, that they keep kings, and we get expansion...that looks like a non-starter.
Considering the binding agreement that was signed between the Maloofs and the Seattle ownership group to buy the Sacramento Kings and a Request for Relocation to move the team to Seattle has been filed, any discussion on NBA expansion to resolve this situation is, as you've written, a non-starter, lawsuits and other matters, notwithstanding.

Quote:
I don't know about that. And of course, I truly don't know because I don't live there. But I think they're be fairly equal, with the NBA slightly ahead, though the NHL could take away that slight advantage.
This is all speculation on my part despite being a resident of the region two seasons before the Seattle SuperSonics moved to Oklahoma City. It would be fair to say that support for, specifically, an NBA team returning to Seattle, is getting more airtime than a new NHL team. That's not to say that there are no NHL fans in the Seattle area. Having attended a few WHL games in Seattle and Everett, there are a sizable number of supportive hockey fans from both teams (the Thunderbirds and Silvertips) and, at least from my perspective, a smattering number of attendees wearing various NHL team jerseys.

I would like to believe that interest in an NHL team in Seattle is similar to what happened when Major League Soccer began play in Seattle in 2008. Attendance for many Sounders FC games have been at record levels for the past 5 seasons. (Sports attendance for so many Seattle-based teams is another story.)

It's fair to say that getting an NBA team in Seattle is a priority. (MOU .pdf) At the same time, in my opinion, an NHL team in Seattle would be another good thing for the region. It would not surprise me if NHL officials are paying very close attention to what's going on with the Sacramento Kings likely move to Seattle. Will interest in the NHL be even or surpass the NBA? It's hard to answer that question until the NBA returns and the NHL arrives in the region.

Last edited by gmjevtwa: 02-15-2013 at 12:18 AM.