View Single Post
Old
02-15-2013, 12:02 AM
No Team Needed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
There's a huge misconception on this forum, especially from those who have never played the game and who chose to ignore the players' comments when it comes to enforcers. They seem to think that enforcers prevent hockey from happening. The best example is that comment from whoever saying the Chris Neil didn't prevent Karlsson's injury.

Enforcers are deterrents to cheap-shot artists. Deterrents doesn't mean "prevent all things from happening". Rather, they make those people accountable as they know that if they act stupid, it's at their own risk. I only wish the league got rid of the instigator rule, the worst rule in hockey. You'd have even more accountability!
Yes, because accountability has existed forever in the history of hockey.

Do you remember the 80s? I do. At least the times not spent at New Order concerts. There was very little accountability. Teams would clear benches for brawls. Wendel Clark would MOUNT a guy and then pound him. Luke Richardson was still cheapshotted to a much weaker career. Montreal, Philly and Quebec beat the hell out of each other and the only time anyone won anything was when the gloves stayed on.

Do you remember the goons and enforcers on the Mighty Ducks? I do. And they did nothing of consequence to retaliate for Gary Suter's hit on Paul Kariya, a hit that took him from the top five best in the league to just a very good hockey player.

Or how about Ulf Samuelsson shortening Cam Neely's career? Or Tie Domi knocking Ulf Samuelsson out for calling him a dummy? Nothing.

Hockey is a violent, physical sport. Nobody is stopping anyone from doing anything other than a loss of pay from the NHL. Yes, intimidation is powerful. Yes, a fight can change the emotional balance of a game. Yes, having a few tough guys on the bottom lines can strike fear in your opponent from attempting to do the same. But it can only go so far, and never farther than skill.