Old
02-15-2013, 04:34 AM
Sorinth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I've explained it repeatedly.

There is no risk.

We aren't winning anything now with those vets anyway. Just like we weren't going to win anything five years ago with Koivu and we should've done it then... This is the part that you can't accept. Once you do, you'll see that what I'm saying makes sense.
The risk is in stunting the development of the young players in the NHL. Giving sheltered minutes for Galchenyuk and Gallagher is better for them then throwing them to the wolves. Just because it didn't hurt Yzerman and Lemieux doesn't mean it won't hurt our guys.

Quote:
There will always be exceptions to the rule. Absolutely you'd be better off with more 1sts in 2003 (or 1979 for that matter) but most years that's not the way it works.
So for a normal draft you think a top 5 pick is worth 5 picks spread out from 11-30. I think you're alone on that one.

Quote:
We did waste our time. And we wasted a LOT of assets too. There was no reason to let everyone go and then re-up with Gomez and co. It made absolutely no sense at all. Not only that but we exacerbated the problem by giving away McD. That set us back a fair bit as well.

If we'd rebuilt back then we'd be a hell of a lot better off now. Instead we did things the hard way and wasted three or four years where we could've been rebuilding. Subban, Max and Price were already in the system anyway dude. We could've just held onto McD and dealt vets. But we weren't smart enough to do this and let them walk for nothing.
I didn't agree with what Gainey did but if we are in the same situation now then it hardly set us back. If we had sold everyone in 2009 the prospects we would've gotten would just now be entering the nhl, assuming they weren't rushed. Would 1-2 more Louis Leblanc's make us a better team?

One of the reasons Gainey went after Gomez, Gionta, Moen, Gill was because of their leadership and stanley cup experience. He felt the young players didn't develop well once they got to the NHL, they tended to look good and then plateau and stop developing. So he wanted to change the culture/leadership to address that. It might of even worked. Subban and Pacioretty have both developed well with the new leadership core. Hell even Price was having problems, if the locker room was filled with clique's like it was before, would Price have matured as well after losing the starting job to Halak? How much of that is the players and how much is the leadership/culture is anyone's guess. But pretending it doesn't have any effect is ridiculous. And I'm willing to take the opinion of a guy who played, coached and managed stanley cup teams over yours.

Quote:
And the worst part of it was that a good portion of posters here defended those moves. My favourite argument was... "If it weren't for us getting Gomez, Gionta and Cammy wouldn't have come, so it's a good move."
And people also claim trading Thornton for scraps was a good move because it freed up cap space to sign Chara.

Quote:
I was talking about team culture as well. We were in the mindset where 8th place was good enough. And the team still feels this way now. All we have to do is make 8th and it's all good...
Unless you are in the room or talking with the players then you are just speculating. I highly doubt Gionta is thinking let's just make the playoffs, and then I'll just coast in the 1st round because it's mission accomplished.

Quote:
Yes, every team needs luck. But you can't plan for luck, you can only take advantage of it when it comes knocking.

Boston created their own luck by dealing with a bad team. They knew what they were doing just like Polloch did when he used to make deals with bad teams desperate to make the playoffs.
So now Boston knew that they were getting two top 10 picks. Please. They made a good trade and it turned into an amazing trade. Picking up picks looks great when those picks end up working out, they look bad when they don't.

Quote:
You and I have different definitions of what 'rebuilding' is. All we did was replace our mediocre core with more mediocre guys who were paid double the cap hit and we gave up McD in the process. That's not rebuilding.
Clearly, maybe check any online dictionary
Rebuild: build (something) again after it has been damaged or destroyed

We tore down one team and rebuilt a new one.

Quote:
I don't give a **** about 8th place. If we're coming in this year and we have a shot at 8th, I'd rather mgmt start thinking long term. The whole playing it by ear season by season has gotten us nowhere.
Playing it by ear means selling at the right times and buying at the right times. Last year was the right time to sell and we did. Now we have Price, Pacioretty, Subban, Galchenyuk and others along with a great veteran cast that can show them how to be winners.