View Single Post
Old
02-15-2013, 05:32 AM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
Agreed. I don't really see MTL as 'shopping' Eller by any means.

Just throwing it out there that Gaunce + Sauve is the most i'd really offer from the Canucks.

And the upside with that for the Canadiens, is that they do get something of a 'reset'.

Gaunce realistically projects as a better fit as a #3C behind Galchenyuk and Plekanec than Eller does at this point...and has the benefit of age/development ahead of him. Additionally, Gaunce is likely to end up a more physical player than Eller ever will be.

They'd also get a guy in Sauve who could eventually fill in for a guy like Francis Bouillon who is 37 years old. And Sauve is MUCH bigger, while still being quite mobile. He's quite blocked in terms of progression to the NHL in Vancouver at this point...but with the Candiens...maybe he gets a shot sooner and contributes.

I wouldn't blame the Canadiens for not taking a deal like that. But that's as far as i'd go in terms of offers as a Canucks fan.

I'm still unsure how Gaunce projects as a better fit at 3C than Eller does? Gaunce is bigger, more physical and has more development, but Eller is a 3C right now. Are they just doing the trade to change the type of player?

As a VAN fan, I wouldn't do it either, but for differing reasons. Gaunce provides contribution on an ELC to a team desparate for this type of contract. Eller only gives VAN one year of medium benefit at 1.35m. After that, he likely gets a raise. Given that Schroeder is here now, and a future benefit is there in Gaunce, I would much rather VAN keep that type of contract in house.

Right now, Eller is on the precipice to deciding what type of player he is/will become. Does his career follow the way of a Taylor Pyatt, or does he take that next step. Likely, the teams interested in him think that he can take that next step. As the OP cites. So they would be willing to pay more than the more conservative teams thinking he will settle in as a 3rd line option.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote